Saturday, June 12, 2010

Flood!

I had another post planned for tonight. But as I was making dinner an idea weighed so heavy on my heart, it took my breath away.

When I was growing up we didn't have a whole lot of money. So when we went on vacation the resort I knew best was KOA. Camping was really the only way we could afford to travel. Last night's devastating flood of a campground in Arkansas has hit home. I found myself wondering what would have happened if someone had known, if just one person could have begun to honk their horn, run around to the tents banging a pot and shouting "Flood! Flood! Run for your lives!" How many people could have been saved?

And then it hit me.

I am one person and I know.

I know of a future event that could be disastrous, eternally. I know that a choice can be made now, which will avoid everlasting pain and fiery flood. All around me strangers, acquaintances, neighbors and friends are soundly sleeping in their tents, unaware of their danger. And here I sit, safely on higher ground, not wanting to disturb their peace.  Silent.  Apathetic.   I don't want to make a ruckus.  I don't want to offend.  I don't want to seem judgemental.  I don't want to be "that" person.  You know the weirdo, who thinks that every conversation is a chance to introduce someone to Jesus.  Except every conversation holds that seed.  How do I know which one will blossom?  Am I really saying that I'd rather be liked, than to help rescue someone from danger, forever.  Is my pride, my reputation worth that much?
Blog Med Sig 4

P.S. If you have no idea what I am talking about, my email is on my profile.  I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...