Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Big Fat Big Sur Road Trip: H2O part 2


So it’s time for another installment in my Big Fat Big Sur Road Trip. This time I will try for limited interruptions but we’ll see. You know I kinda love to talk. And I have a feeling that despite my best intentions I may ramble on my merry way. Well on with the show…

Most of these photos were taken on the way home. Since I wasn’t on a schedule I pulled over to take pictures whenever I took the notion. This means I pulled over about every five minutes. Seriously I added a good three hours to my drive home. But wasn’t it worth it? The coast absolutely glowed in the morning sunlight.



The fog hovering around the edges


caressing the rocks,



drew me in and I didn’t have a choice, I just had to stop and gape. Look at those verdant hills. For California that’s incredibly lush.



At one point I once again risked life and limb bug bites by hiking through a wooded knoll to get this shot.


I know, very whiney brave, but sometimes you have to stand at the edge of the cliff to get the best shot. It’s the only way to see the kelp.


Great kelp, no otters though. Bummer. I believe the kelp beds are one of the reasons the otters love this part of the coast. Perhaps I would know that more definitively if I’d been less comatose at the Monterey Aquarium. Ah well, c’est la vie: back to the pretty pictures.

I love the plants in the foreground.


And look at the colors on this hill, the pinks and purples of the wildflowers/feathery fronds.



Hey aren’t you proud of my self-control. I haven’t even once gushed about the gorgeous water.


But my discipline only lasts for so long.

Water, water, water, look at that bee-yoo-tiful water.


Ahhhh, I feel my soul expanding just looking at the picture, can you even imagine how awe-inspiring the sight is in person. You are lucky I didn’t walk home taking pictures the whole way. But of course I had the Bull Gator’s pretty little car so I wouldn’t actually walk. Although, look, the road is awfully pretty. See how it weaves along the water.



And do you notice the bridge in the distance, so graceful with its lithe curves?


And speaking of roads have you ever seen anything like this? There are parts of the road where this highway turns into a one way street. Does that happen in your neighborhood, or even your state?  It looks like a regular traffic light, but you are actually taking turns using the road.



Oh and look at these boats tucked away into a cove just secured by ropes. I almost expect Frankie and Annette to show up and grab a sloop to go clam digging.



Now these two pictures are in here because I can’t choose between them. I like the details in one and the overall view of the other. So I chose my favorite option in these circumstances and included both.



As I drove farther south the cliffs melt away but I can still catch a glimpse of old California.


At one point the way runs so close to the sea that waves regularly come crashing over the highway. You have to time your way across the valley to avoid being drenched (at least if the top is down.)


I hit Santa Barbara and Carpenteria around sunset. My first boyfriend lived in Carp and I’ve enjoyed many a sunset up there.


I believe they have some of the loveliest sunfalls in the world. That water is the veritable definition of turquoise.


If you look closely you can even see the Channel Islands in the distance.


Now as this episode of my Big Fat Big Sur Road Trip winds down


I just have to celebrate the very reason I took this magnificent journey in the first place.


Have a splendid and hopefully sun drenched weekend,
Blog Med Sig 4

6 comments:

Trish @ A dream house for Trish said...

WOW Joy bird, these photos are beautiful, I can see why the trip home took soooo long, it sounds like you had heaps of fun along the way. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I always love a new visitor!
P.S Im only 5ft3" so understand shortness, LOL!!!

Brian Miller said...

wow. these pics are gorgeous...sooo want to go...and sounds like a lot of fun along the way...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. Really makes me want to go and just sit and enjoy the peacefulness of the scenery.

partialemptynester said...

Sooo beautiful!!! It doesn't get much better than Hwy 1 and Carmel...in a convertible!!! Was that not the most quintessential rode trip ever?! Love the pix of the boats, too...I think I would have had to reenact a Frankie and Annette scene myself...true restraint on your part, my dear!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh the pictures are awesome! We lived in the Sacramento area for around four years and we loved going to Big Sur, Monterey and Pebble Beach.Every trip we made there was so wonderful.I know what you mean about stopping every few miles to take pictures but again so worth it!

Farmgirl Paints said...

These pictures are so beautiful. Can't believe how happy they make me. California take me away...please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...