Monday, February 7, 2011

I Love a Bah-gain!

I love a bah-gain; love it nearly, but not quite, as much as I love books. And when I can find the two together, well, bliss. I dropped by a little charitable thrift store a few weeks ago: a small shop benefitting a local preschool. I've driven by it for years, always meaning to stop, but usually am on the run somewhere else. Well that day a head cold had almost completely cleared my schedule so when I drove past after getting an oil change and saw the sign "Rummage Sale" I finally stopped.

Oooh...I am so glad I did.  Looky, looky what I found.



The book is titled, A Book of Golden Deeds by Charlotte Yoge.  It's a collection of noble acts throughout the history of western civilization.



This edition was published by the Chicago firm Donohue, Henneberry & Co.




It took some creative Googling arduous research to figure out when this book was published as there is no copyright page. I stumbled onto a website which laid out the history of Donohue, Henneberry & Co. in conjunction with another project. It seems this publishing house moved often. So interestingly enough, that means I was able to learn the publication date based on the address. And.......



this handy volume was published in 1894 or 1899. Cool huh? But you know what the best part of this book is? It's so pretty. And you know how I feel about pretty.  

It's covered in pink, purple and blue sweet peas.





And look at that spine, warm cream with inlaid blue-silver floral pattern. Charmante.





It will look so pretty in my sweet nest (when I have one). I can't wait.


Even this little bee found my sweet pea laden golden book irresistible.





And how much did I pay for this delightful little volume?

Are you ready?

$2.20

Squeal

How's that for a deal? Don't ya just love it?

What about you?  Have you found any good bah-gains lately?
Blog Med Sig 4

3 comments:

Transparent Mama said...

As a book lover, I am salivating. Lovely find.

Linda said...

Another book lover here. I just love your little book. It is everything that makes books special - old, beautiful and interesting. You really found a little treasure.
Thank you so much for visiting. It's so nice to meet you.

imoomie said...

Hello!

Thanks so much for your visit!

Great site you have here! One of my favorite past times is hunting for treasured books...you really hit the jackpot, what fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...