Monday, February 28, 2011

Kisses

Snow is not always weather. Sometimes it’s a message. Snow is a rare event in my life. So it captures my attention. Like the time I spent the week between Christmas and New Year’s in Manhattan. I longed for snow, but Newark shone mottled mushroom grey from the sky. When we exited at Penn Station and clambered into a cab, pearly bits of lace swirled in a joyful promenade. I didn’t get my long walk in Central Park tromping through fresh powder, but the crystal flakes welcomed me to New York.

A couple of years ago I spent some time in Bend, Oregon to have surgery. I was thrilled that Bend gets a fresh whitewashing each November which stays around all winter, and I was visiting in December. Imagine my dismay when I landed after swooping over fields of pine trees and chaparral to a camouflage green and brown world. The prologue, powder-sugar sprinkling script appeared outside my window the first morning but the full text remained hidden for days. It came giggling out at the end of this scene.


Alabaster feathers exploding down at the exact moment they are discovered in a film that centers on the wait for snow. What a wit.  
 

What is this message? Who is my creative correspondent? Why, the One who makes the snow of course. And the tender missive reads, with lovely simplicity, I love you.

So this brings me to now. Now, when I am bruised, limping and seem to have only garbled cell service when my Beloved calls. What message if any comes to me now?

Miraculously, awe-inspiringly, celestial kisses rained down here, on me, in my own backyard. Saturday, in view of the Rose Bowl, fifteen minutes from downtown LA, and steps away from my kitchen, fluffy white flakes anointed my hair.


Message received.
Blog Med Sig 4

9 comments:

David N. said...

I can't imagine a winter without snow. I love the stuff. And your line about cell reception with God makes me think of the Over the Rhine song that goes "I radio heaven, I get mixed signals, I move the antenna, I switch the channels."

mountain mama said...

beautiful post.

so glad you got some snow! {i'm kinda tired of it myself!} :)

i have family in L.A. i'm surprised i did not hear about this snow event from them!

God bless~

Leslie said...

so glad...

partialemptynester said...

Beautiful, beautiful...I've been so encouraged reading such gorgeous posts of praises to God today...are you a follower of Janis@openmyeyes,Lord? She wrote beautiful praises such as yours today, as well...oh, how the Lord must just be beaming today!!! Love, love, love this post (esp love the picture of the fence with snow-filled metal buckets!!)

Bev said...

i love this post! we live in a foothill community 60 miles west of lake tahoe...we get snow on occasion...it's always so magical to me...peaceful, kind of like the world stops for a minute...

eloranicole said...

I so connect with this idea of messages received through the white-washed powder of winter. I never see it. I live in central Texas for crying out loud. But about a month ago we got a nice blanket and my heart literally came alive with the realization that this snowfall was for me. I equate snow with new beginnings - everything white, everything new. When I walked out the door that morning, it was as if God whispered in my ear, "you're totally worth the new beginning."

Jen said...

What an amazing praise. Sweet words for the soul. I'm so glad when I receive my own messages, too.

patty said...

beautiful... i could see it all clearly as i read on. and i love those photos. the last looks like the snow is popping up out of the lawn... snow in LA? hm. :))

nic said...

what tender message. oh, how He loves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...