Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Big Fat Big Sur Road Trip: Cliches from a Beach

This is the trip that never en-n-n-n-nds. It goes on and on my frien-n-n-n-nds! Raise your hand if your remember lamb sock puppets. You are all before my time.  But even if that show was before my time, somehow the awareness of Shari and her friends has filtered into my pop culture consciousness. Anyway, welcome to my almost last BFBSRT post. On the road south, heading home, somewhere around San Simeon I smelled a smell and saw a sign and had to flip a u-ey, just to meet these cool surfers…


Elephant Seals! How can I tell? It’s what the sign said. That and the guy sitting in a deck chair from the association of people volunteering to sit at the beach and ensure no one messes with the huge elephant seals who could totally kick my butt (although I am kind of small…but scrappy) handed me a nice leaflet telling me they were elephant seals. I think I lost it. Ah, well, back to my story.

So there were real live SEALS! And I didn’t have to exploit killer whales or pay lots of money to see them. Just look at em’


A whole beach of seals, just chillin’ out Cali style, playin’, tannin’ (droppin’ their g’s for no reason). This girl is beach bunny if I ever saw one. Look at her gorgeous Platinum Blonde fur. Sun-in does not do that. And peroxide doesn’t have that natural blonde variation. That shade only comes with a deep dedication to time in the sun. No shortcuts.


And check out this little one I like to call Gidget. (I loved that show as a kid. She reminded me so much of my mom who grew up as a ‘60’s OC beach bunny herself: a Surf City original. ) Now I’m talking Sally Field’s Gidget not Sandra Dee’s. Can’t you just imagine Gidget here biting her lip and furrowing her brow while looking out to sea trying to judge the next set?


And this must be Gidget’s best friend, Larue.


How do I know? Larue was allergic to the sun and always covered up, wearing a big hat with bright white sunscreen when she went to the beach. This young lady has covered herself in the latest seal sunscreen, sand. If you look carefully at her right flipper you’ll see her throwing sand on her back to get a spot that she missed. It was almost as hard to catch her doing that as it was to get a picture of snow falling in LA. Go ahead, look for yourself, scroll back up, I’ll wait…

One thing that took me by surprise was the fun accessories these seals have. (Now this shouldn’t take me by surprise. I have lived in Cali long enough to know we like our accessories here, and I do mean we.) The seal on the right, who is also applying sunscreen, is carefully guarding his little red ball.  Not very original, I must say.


Now this Gwen Stefani wanna be must have some neck problems and can't get in to see her chiropractor. Why else would she be napping with a Tempur-Pedic pillow? Even our seals like a bit of comfort and perhaps some Thai massage or acupuncture.



This finally brings us to the star of my visit with the seals, Char…no, too easy…Sammy the Seal. Sammy clearly loved the paparazzi shooting him and was totally showing off.



This pose was just outrageous.  Look how long he made his neck.  Tyra would totally approve.


But this shot, this is my favorite.  Thanks, Sammy.


Blog Med Sig 4

7 comments:

Ruthiey said...

This was completely delightful! I loved the pop culture references.

happygirl said...

That was a LOT of fun. Maybe Sammy was doin' yoga. It looked a lot like the cobra pose. hahaha. Your trip brings back a lot of memories from my time in Monterey, CA. Thank you.

Vicki said...

they are so cute! i bet that was amazing to be on the beach with them. i remember lambchop and gidget too - thanks for the memories, and the seals. i could use one of those temper pedic pillows to sleep with...

Leslie said...

: )

Christine said...

Wow!! I really liked this. I would be tempted to walk down on the beach and get a better view, was the guy in the lawn chair crowd control or could you walk up close and personal?. Living in the prairies I no clue about ocean life.

Joybird said...

Christine, he was kind of crowd control but I watched these seals from a raised boardwalk. I have been on beaches with other seals and they can be dangerous. There are laws that protect marine mammals from being messed with but they can also defend themselves. I'm (almost) 5'1" and they could totally kick my butt. Elephant seal adults weigh between 3000 to 5000 lbs. (thx Google) So I admire them, but like the coyotes and deer that wander through my neighborhood, I am aware that these are wild animals. But they are so cool!

Brian Miller said...

that is so cool! i would love to see them for real!!

although i was afraid you had caught me...the third from the right kinda resembles me...smiles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...