Thursday, April 21, 2011

Late to Lent: Days 37-38

And I'm walking, and I'm walking (hummed to the tune "Just Keep Swimming.")   Walk with me here.

Day Thirty-Seven
One of the books I have been reading is this little wonder. This week’s reading is about hope, a virtue I desperately need and equally mistrust. What I read this morning reminded me again how thankful I am that I don’t walk alone and that many sojourners throughout history have been willing to share their insights and struggles from the road. So I truly cannot think of anything more profound to share with you than what I read today.

God must bring us to a point-I cannot tell you how it will be, but he will do it-where, through a deep and dark experience, our natural power is touched and fundamentally weakened, so that we no longer dare trust ourselves. He has had to deal with some of us very strangely, and take us through difficult and painful ways, in order to get us there. …But then at last it is that he can begin to use us…We would like to have death and resurrection put together within one hour of each other. We cannot face the thought that God will keep us aside for so long a time; we cannot bear to wait. And of course I cannot tell you how long he will take, but in principle I think it is quite safe to say this, that there will be a definite period when he will keep you there….All is in darkness, but it is only for a night. It must indeed be a full night, but that is all. Afterwards you will find that everything is given back to you in glorious resurrection; and nothing can measure the difference between what was before and what now is!
Watchman Nee
p. 38, Devotions for Lent from the Mosaic Bible
Glorious hope!

Day Thirty-eight
I’m all abuzz tonight, distracted. I temped today in the same office where I spent years working, the same office I was laid off from in complete peace. But as always, old problems linger and worn out baggage tumbles down trying to trip me. I’m finding it hard to be still, inside, where it counts. I close my eyes and hear Him whisper,

Come. Disrobe and leave it all behind, the worry, the fixing, the trying to control, the managing. Allow me to clothe you in peace, in hope and in joy. My shirts are soft, my slippers fluffy, my pants silky and breathable, and everything I offer is crystal white; it is the only color I have to give. Wear my pajamas, tonight.


Calmed with His love.  So I don’t think I’ll write anything more just now. I’m going to change my pjs, curl up and rest.
Blog Med Sig 4

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Very true passage by Watchman Nee. I've been reading through your blog a bit and appreciate the honesty in your writing. Thank you. Keep the faith!

nic said...

what a painful, beautiful, honest quote. i'm gaining so much this lenten season--not just from my experience, but from you sharing yours.

so glad for rest.

happygirl said...

Thank you for this post, Ms Joybird. And I pray rest and peace for you. I believe the passage is accurate. I struggle, as you, with waiting in darkness of not knowing, but when I find a place of sanity in the waiting it is always this. A thousand years is as a day... for our Lord. and I trust.

Cherry said...

Thanks for visiting me at Pursuing Heart, and for the comments you left. And thanks for this post ... such good quotes, and looks like a great little book of readings for Lent.

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing, this was encouraging, you have a blessed Easter, enjoy your jammie time.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Absolutely true and so calming.... Thank you for sharing this with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...