Friday, May 13, 2011

Embrace...

I’ve been sitting on this post for a while; other stuff just keeps coming up. But now I'm ready, so let's start with a story.

Years ago I was in a real bind. Stinkerbell and I were moving because, quite frankly, I was broke. It was a devastatingly stressful time. Then a woman who had only met us once opened up her home and invited us to stay with her for a few weeks. Just gave me a time to rest, to get away, regroup and refresh…one of the very best gifts I’ve ever had; Nancy if you ever read this, you really are the best. This writer/college professor lived in a vintage bungalow in a quaint town at the base of the San Bernardino Mountains. For two weeks I read, prayed and just remained as well as exploring and hiking in the mountains with Stinkerbell.

In a neighborhood of painted ladies, the home we stayed in was a unique little charmer with a completely custom and unexpected layout filled with classic books and art.  I was so impressed at all of the original art. I have no idea if any of the pieces were particularly valuable but up until that point it hadn’t crossed my mind to own original art. So when I began perusing the blogosphere I was enchanted to find so many talented artists blogging. Earlier this year I purchased this piece and was thrilled. Then when Bev began following my blog I was delighted to discover this in her Etsy store.


I added it to my Amazon wish list and hoped that at some point I could afford to buy it. Sadly, a little while later I checked on it and it was gone. So disappointing. I loved this piece: the blue and green, the vintage details, the little bird and the message.


See, it is my distinct pleasure to mentor a couple of precious women and I've told them that you can’t fight a lie directly; they're slippery and sneaky and it's easy to get all tangled up. I’ve found the best way to defeat a lie is to embrace the confronting truth, repeatedly. And the most powerful truths I’ve found are in the Bible.


So I'd recommend identifying the lie, then searching out the truth and hanging on for dear life. I shared an example of this (in a kind of long post) early in my blog.


But it seems that whenever I share an idea out loud, a pop quiz always follows. These last few months I’ve needed to cling to the truth with all I have. If you’ve been tracking the verses that show up on the sidebar you’ll see where I’m struggling. I pick verses which challenge me the most, challenge the lies. So art which says embrace his truth….awesome. But it was sold and not to me, bummer.


So how did it end up here? Well, I had a birthday and DBB read my wishlist. (And actually approved of it.  Normally he reads my wishlist and says I don't want you to own any of that. Brothers!!!)  So he's the one who made my painting disappear.  Which brings me to the (tons of very similar cause I love evening light in my backyard) pictures that I'm finally sharing with you. Embrace His truth! (And buy local blogger art!)
Blog Med Sig 4

7 comments:

mountain mama said...

oh that is lovely! i love the collage style and colors. and the message is awesome!

wow! what a great brother...good job!!!

Brian Miller said...

the best way to defeat a lie is the truth...and i love that piece of art and so glad you got it...

Rachel said...

Ditto what Brian said. embrace his truth. I needed this, thanks for sharing your pictures and art work.

Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

"I’ve found the best way to defeat a lie is to embrace the confronting truth, repeatedly." Truer words were never spoken! Loved the story of your wonderful surprise--the art is beautiful and so is your heart!

happygirl said...

The minute I saw the collage I thought of Bev. I'm so glad you posted this story. I hope I can be this woman some day.

Craig said...

Wow – I’ve just been thinking the same thing. “the best way to defeat a lie is to embrace the confronting truth, repeatedly.” And you are so right – like the painting – the best Truth is in the Word. Thank you for this today – I hearted it the "art" story lots – and God Bless and keep you and all of yours.

Janis@Open My Ears Lord said...

Oh, what a beautiful story. One that should give you hope and peace as you pursue His path for you.

That painting is lovely. Embrace His truth. How freeing.

Enjoy the love in the gift, the gift, and His truth.

Blessings,
Janis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...