Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Obscured

As early summer-soaked sunlight streams though my window I quietly list all that comes to mind to thank Him for, the good and the bad, when I stutter over this thought.

424. HOPE - You are taking me somewhere even if I cannot see through You - I know You are leading.

And I flash back to the Israelites crossing the wilderness one day at a time. The throng tromping across hard scrabbled earth following a cloud by day and a fire by night, stopping when He stopped and only moving when He moved. So often I have judged these desert walkers for their lack of faith, after all He was in front of them. The God of the Universe, the Creator of All made Himself visible.  Even if it took the form of cloud and fire, they had proof with their own eyes, right?  How I've longed at times to just see. But did they really see?   After all a cloud more often tends to obscure and a blazing pillar of fire in darkness could blind.  How wide did this cloud or pillar stretch?  Could they see through God to where  He was taking them? Could they see around the billowy white mist or the crackling light slashing
 the dark to know where their feet would fall before they stepped? So is it really all that different from my own life? This place where I am so often asked what my plans are after 2 years of no full-time vocation only to answer I don't know, I am just trying to follow Him and do the good I see in front of me each day. As I chase the fog which both hides and illuminates my path I pursue the One who obscures, clinging to who He is not my unknown destination. And though I stumble, I do not fall, the One in the Cloud holds me tightly by the hand.

Blog Med Sig 4

linking late with Jen



sharing my epiphanies while counting with Ann

9 comments:

happygirl said...

God is in all of this, isn't He. At least this is my prayer. When I cannot see where this life is taking me I have fear, then I doubt God. I guess this is when I need to have/rely on faith. :)

David N. said...

"This place where I am so often asked what my plans are after 2 years of no full-time vocation only to answer I don't know, I am just trying to follow Him and do the good I see in front of me each day."

I have a full-time job, but not a full-time vocation, if you know what I mean. So we're kind of in the same place of not knowing where we're headed. I like last line in that sentance but doing the good in front of you each day.

Anna said...

Thankful for Hope too...for the "One in the Cloud" leading. Lovely, Joybird.

Bristol @ Diligent Leaves said...

Joybird, you spoke to my heart so much with this post! I have also been a bit of a wanderer, with no full-time work for years. It is hard to feel legitimate and worthwhile sometimes without that mark of "success." Know that you are not alone on the path of vocational discernment!

Also, I love what you said about how even seeing God in this physical manifestation wasn't enough to confirm their faith. I think often about how present that pattern is in scripture... Even when Jesus walks the earth IN PERSON, the "signs and wonders" can only edify faith that is already there; they cannot build faith on nothing.

Thanks for your gorgeous writing and beautiful thoughts. I truly love your blog!

Laura said...

This is so lovely. I learned recently in Sunday school that the name used for God in the song the Israelites sang after they crossed the Red Sea was the personal name of God. Prior to that, they had not used God's personal name in the scriptures. But after going through such trials and victory, it was as if they were saying, YOU are my God! Up until that point, He was the God of their fathers--they did not know Him intimately. I think trials do this for us today also. We come so close to Him during these times. The birth of hope in such seemingly fallow soil is such an amazing thing. Only One can do it.
Bless you!

Jen said...

Oh, I've judged them, too, and then, when I find myself is a similar situation, I realize -- I struggle just as much as they did.

Your words are so fragrant and real -- touching and wonderful. thank you so much for sharing them with me today, and all the other SDG girls. Many will be blessed. Abundantly.

"Ima" said...

Oh Joybird, your words are always such a blessing to read. What a wonderful way to look at that scripture. "As I chase the fog which both hides and illuminates my path I pursue the One who obscures, clinging to who He is not my unknown destination. And though I stumble, I do not fall, the One in the Cloud holds me tightly by the hand."-so good!

TK said...

how beautiful that you are resting in Him who is above all things, making your path straight even when you don't know the whys or hows.....this is such a lesson to me today, thankyou, TK xx

Tiffini said...

thank you friend for sharing your heart and in doing so you allow me to see bits of me and I know I am ok...
xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...